28 February 2012

Two interviews with Somali journalists in Germany.

We document two interviews with Somali journalists who had to flee from Mogadishu and are now living in Germany, hoping to find the security they need until they can return to their country and continue working without putting their lives in danger with every report they write.

We met the two during the second “No border lasts forever” conference in Frankfurt in December 2011 and talked about our work. We decided to stay in contact and to try to work together.
Now they are becoming members of the German Journalists Union VERDI-DJU and are learning the language to be able to continue their journalistic work here – as soon as their refugee status allows them to work.

Journalist 1:I come from Somalia. I was working as a journalist in Somalia. I came here to Germany, I arrived in Hamburg. I stayed 5 months in Hungary then I came to Germany 2010. Now I am living 1 year 4 months in a small town called Germersheim. I was living in the capital of Somalia, in Mogadishu and was working for a local radio station called Shabelle.

more...